Of the many features and strengths of ITAM the Theme Editor is likely most enjoyed and appreciated by users and system administrators. The Theme Editor allows users that are granted the Create New Theme privilege the ability to customize nearly every aspect of a forms visual appearance. The value of this comes in creating forms that visually communicate a corporate, product, project, or other relevant theme so as to reinforce the organizations branding or to delineate certain groups of forms from others within the same organization.
Click the Edit Themes button on the main menu of the Forms Manager to open the Theme Manager.
Design Control Screens
In the example above, we see that their are six (6) primary theme design control functions:
Selecting these buttons opens an interactive and intuitive design control screen with specialized design widgets to allow the user to visually customize selected design elements. In the above example we see that the Fonts primary control function has been selected.
Each primary theme design control function is loaded with customizable design control elements; simply called design widgets. These design widgets are special function popup layers that allow the user to visually control the details of the appearance of specific items within the forms design. The design widgets are are notated by an arrow figure and a large dotted letter and are hidden until activated.
- Click on the large dotted letters to display a design widget.
- Select and adjust from the available design widget options until the desired visual appearance is achieved.
Sidebar Theme Control Pane
Located at the far top-right corner of the Theme Editor page is a blue drop-down arrow. Clicking this arrow display the Sidebar Theme Control Pane that we see above. Although the function of the available features is intuitive two features deserve further discussion.
Create New Theme
There are a few very important operational points that the Theme Designer/Editor should be aware of when editing an existing theme or creating a new theme.
- Selecting the Create New Theme option from the Sidebar Theme Control Pane places the Theme Editor into the "Create New Theme" mode. This is only obvious by the message at the top of the screen that reads Create a new theme for your forms.
- After selecting the Create New Theme option the theme is switched to the default ITAM theme.
- Selecting one of the Built-In themes while in Create New Theme mode will apply the settings of the built-in theme to the new theme. This may often be a faster way to create a theme if one of the built-in themes has many of the design features that are desired.
- Selecting one of the themes from the Your Themes list does not apply that themes settings to the new theme. Instead, the selected theme from the Your Themes list will be opened for editing. Any changes made to the them will be applied to that theme.
- To create a new theme from an existing custom theme, select the theme and then select Duplicate from the Sidebar Theme Control Pane.
Theme Permissions & Sharing
Unlike forms, themes do not have an advanced permissions scheme. A theme can only be created by a user who has been granted the “Create New Theme” privilege. By default, any theme created by a user will only be available to that user unless the user chooses to share the theme with other users.
- To share a theme with other users, select the theme from the Sidebar Theme Control Pane. This will open the Theme in the Theme Editor.
- Then, select the Share This Theme option from the Sidebar Theme Control Pane.
Note that when a theme is shared, other users of the ITAM system will be able to use within their forms however only the theme owner has the ability to edit the theme. This is important if theme design for the organization or project will be managed by a particular individual or group.